- Thrive Market: Become a Member!, What you get: 15% off first order, 30 days free membership trial
Thrive Market is a membership community that uses the power of direct buying to deliver the world’s best healthy food and natural products to our members at wholesale prices, and to sponsor free memberships for low-income American families.
- Eating Evolved Chocolate: Click here (Use Discount Code: Benitmt to receive a free mini (1 oz) Primal Chocolate bar with their order when they use this code.
- The Blog: Here
Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil – 16oz (2 Pack)
Bulletproof Ground Coffee 12 oz
Coffee++ Paleo Butter Coffee Creamer 8.5 fl oz or Grassfed Organic Ghee 15 oz
Hand Coffee Grinder
Fresh Roasted Coffee – Use Coupon Code: Isabella20 for 20% off
Vital Proteins Collagen Protein, Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed, Non-GMO, Beef Gelatin
Vital Proteins Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides (20 oz)
Whey Protein Powder Concentrate – PROMIX 100 Percent All Natural Grass Fed
Creatine Monohydrate 500G
How I drink it: Mix 1 Scoop BCAA and glutamine with 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar and lemon juice (1/2 the lemon) (2.11.17)
Magnesium Threonate (for sleep)
Magnesium Citrate (for constipation)
Magnesium Citrate (for constipation)
Magnesium Citrate (for constipation)
Laxablend (for constipation)
Nordic Naturals – DHA Xtra
Probiotic – Use code: Gutbliss10 for 10% off)
To Cook With:
Thai Kitchen Paste Curry Red
Rao’s Specialty Food Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce, 24 oz
Organic Raw Coconut Aminos Soy-Free Seasoning Sauce
Coconut Secret Vinegar Coconut Raw Org
Grass-fed Organic Ghee
Kettle & Fire Chicken Bone Broth
Blue Light Blocking Glasses: 1-2 hours before bed, wear red-orange glasses to bring your bedroom into a red light room. Reason: Red light stimulates sunset and bedtime for humans, which stimulates your brain to produce melatonin and put you to sleep.
Cold/Hot Water Therapy: It may be a strategy to have a warm bath before bed and then come into a cold environment after to help with body heat loss and bring on tiredness. It may be a good idea to program the heat to come on before your wake time so your body may wake up on its own. -Hot/cold shower. Hot for 10 seconds, then cold for 20 seconds. Ten times.
Sleep in a 64-66 degree room
Get your room as dark as possible – Use black out curtains (Amazon)
Sleep Cocktail: Here
Blood Glucose Monitor
CrossFit: Buyers Guide
Crossfit Wrist Wraps
Rehband Knee Sleeve
Isabella Wellness Program
Harbinger Weightlifting Belt
Hand Grips: The Natural Grip
Harbinger Weightlifting Belt
CrossFit Buyer’s Guide
Tone Fitness Weighted Vest, 12 lbs
Everlast Weighted Vest
Heart Rate Monitor
RX Jump Rope
Grass fed beef/turkey sticks: 10% off
Rehband Elbow Support
My Thrivemarket.com List – Entire list around $90
Primal Mayo or Chipotle Lime Primal Mayo
Pink Sea Salt
Grey Sea Salt
Apple Cider Vinegar
100% Dark Chocolate
Hickies – Coupon Code: HickiesforCrossfit, What you get: 20% off
Eating Evolved – Coupon Code: BENITMT, What you get: Free Gift
Nick’s Sticks – Coupon Code: ISFIT, What you get: 10% off
Fresh Roasted Coffee – Coupon Code: Isabella20, What you get: 20% off
Mother Dirt: Coupon Code: Freeship25, What you get: 25% off your first purchase
GutBliss: Coupon Code: Gutbliss10, What you get: 10% off
Primal Blueprint: No Code, No discount
Thrive Market: No Code Needed, What you get: 15% off first order, 30 days free membership trial
Bulletbroof: No Code, No discount
Eat Fat, Get Thin: No Code, No discount
Suggest a company. We are always looking to collaborate with new companies. Click Here
- The real cause of heart disease and the natural way to prevent it.
- Taubes’s eye-opening challenge to widely accepted ideas on nutrition and weight loss is as provocative as was his 2001 NewYork Times Magazine article, What if It’s All a Big Fat Lie? Taubes (Bad Science), a writer for Science magazine, begins by showing how public health data has been misinterpreted to mark dietary fat and cholesterol as the primary causes of coronary heart disease.
- Neurologist Perlmutter (The Better Brain Book) declares war on a common foodstuff, attributing a bewilderingly wide assortment of maladies to the consumption of gluten, a substance found in bread and other stock foods. Contrasting modern humans against idealized humans of the distant past, Perlmutter concludes that the former, whose average life expectancy at birth is about twice that of their Paleolithic ancestors, have gone off the proper track
- With more than a million copies sold worldwide, Dr. Perlmutter’s books have changed many lives. Now, he’s created a practical, comprehensive program that lowers the risk for brain ailments while yielding other benefits, such as weight loss, relief from chronic conditions, and total body rejuvenation. Science-based and highly accessible, THE GRAIN BRAIN WHOLE LIFE PLAN expands upon the core advice from Dr. Perlmutter’s previous works, and introduces new information about the advantages of eating more fat, fewer carbs, and nurturing the microbiome. Including original recipes, tips and tricks for common challenges, meal plans, and advice on everything from sleep hygiene to stress management, exercise, supplements, and more, THE GRAIN BRAIN WHOLE LIFE PLAN shows how to live happily and healthily ever after.
- Debilitating brain disorders are on the rise -from children diagnosed with autism and ADHD to adults developing dementia at younger ages than ever before. But a medical revolution is underway that can solve this problem: Astonishing new research is revealing that the health of your brain is, to an extraordinary degree, dictated by the state of your microbiome – the vast population of organisms that live in your body and outnumber your own cells ten to one. What’s taking place in your intestines today is determining your risk for any number of brain-related conditions.
- Informed by cutting-edge science and nutrition, along with case studies from men and women who have experienced life-changing transformations in health after waving goodbye to wheat, Wheat Belly is an illuminating look at what is truly making Americans sick and an action plan to clear our plates of this seemingly benign ingredient.
- In this highly readable and provocative book, Dr. Jason Fung sets out an original, robust theory of obesity that provides startling insights into proper nutrition. In addition to his five basic steps, a set of lifelong habits that will improve your health and control your insulin levels, Dr. Fung explains how to use intermittent fasting to break the cycle of insulin resistance and reach a healthy weight—for good.
- Rooted in her experience as an elite athlete who used traditional foods to cure her own debilitating injuries, and combining her research with the latest discoveries in the field of epigenetics, Dr. Cate shows how all calories are not created equal; food is information that directs our cellular growth. Our family history does not determine our destiny: what you eat and how you live can alter your DNA in ways that affect your health and the health of your future children
- To help us lose weight and recover our health, Lustig presents personal strategies to readjust the key hormones that regulate hunger, reward, and stress; and societal strategies to improve the health of the next generation. Compelling, controversial, and completely based in science, Fat Chance debunks the widely held notion to prove “a calorie is NOT a calorie.” More timely than ever now that newest edition of The Dietary Guidelines for Americans has for the first time placed hard limits on the amount of sugar we should consume, Fat Chance takes science to its logical conclusion to improve health worldwide.
- Because in the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion–most of what we’re consuming today is longer the product of nature but of food science. The result is what Michael Pollan calls the American Paradox: The more we worry about nutrition, the less healthy we see to become. With In Defense of Food, Pollan proposes a new (and very old) answer to the question of what we should eat that comes down to seven simple but liberating words: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Pollan’s bracing and eloquent manifesto shows us how we can start making thoughtful food choices that will enrich our lives, enlarge our sense of what it means to be healthy, and bring pleasure back to eating.
- The Telomerase Revolution describes how telomerase will soon be used as a powerful therapeutic tool, with the potential to dramatically extend life spans and even reverse human aging. Telomerase-based treatments are already available, and have shown early promise, but much more potent treatments will become available over the next decade.
- The Complete Guide to Fasting explains: why fasting is actually good for health, who can benefit from fasting (and who won’t), the history of fasting, the various ways to fast: intermittent, alternate-day, and extended fasting, what to expect when starting to fast, how to track progress while fasting, the weight loss effects of fasting, and how to ward off potential negative effects from fasting
- Do you want to lose fat and stay young, all while avoiding cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and a host of other illnesses? The Paleo Solution incorporates the latest, cutting edge research from genetics, biochemistry and anthropology to help you look, feel and perform your best. Written by Robb Wolf, a research biochemist who traded in his lab coat and pocket protector for a whistle and a stopwatch to become one of the most sought after strength and conditioning coaches in the world. With Robb’s unique perspective as both scientist and coach you will learn how simple nutrition, exercise and lifestyle changes can radically change your appearance and health for the better.
- Do you struggle to lose weight and get healthy? Are you playing the blame-game and berating yourself for “cheating” on your diet? This struggle should come as no surprise, as we are genetically wired to eat more and move less, the exact opposite of the advice we are often given. Now there is a more customized weight loss solution that works with your body, a solution based not on arbitrary restriction of foods but on what works for YOU. Developed by former research biochemist, health expert, and bestselling author Robb Wolf, Wired to Eat offers an eating program, based on groundbreaking research, that will rewire your appetite for weight loss and help you finally determine the optimal foods for your diet and metabolism.
- In Head Strong, Asprey shows us that all of this is possible—and more. Using his simple lifestyle modifications (or “hacks”) to take advantage of how the structure of your brain works, readers will learn how to take their mental performance to the next level. Combining the latest findings in neuroscience and neurobiology with a hacker-inspired “get it done now” perspective, Asprey offers a program structured around key areas of brain performance
- The Bulletproof Diet will challenge―and change―the way you think about weight loss and wellness. You will skip breakfast, stop counting calories, eat high levels of healthy saturated fat, work out and sleep less, and add smart supplements.
In doing so, you’ll gain energy, build lean muscle, and watch the pounds melt off. By ditching traditional “diet” thinking, Asprey went from being overweight and sick in his twenties to maintaining a 100-pound weight loss, increasing his IQ, and feeling better than ever in his forties. The Bulletproof Diet is your blueprint to a better life.
- This book contains the distilled tools, tactics, and ‘inside baseball’ you won’t find anywhere else. It also includes new tips from past guests, and life lessons from new ‘guests’ you haven’t met.
- The 4-Hour Chef is a five-stop journey through the art and science of learning: META-LEARNING. Before you learn to cook, you must learn to learn. META charts the path to doubling your learning potential, THE DOMESTIC. DOM is where you learn the building blocks of cooking. These are the ABCs (techniques) that can take you from Dr, Seuss to Shakespeare, THE WILD. Becoming a master student requires self-sufficiency in all things. WILD teaches you to hunt, forage, and survive, THE SCIENTIST. SCI is the mad scientist and modernist painter wrapped into one. This is where you rediscover whimsy and wonder., and THE PROFESSIONAL. Swaraj, a term usually associated with Mahatma Gandhi, can be translated as “self-rule.” In PRO, we’ll look at how the best in the world become the best in the world, and how you can chart your own path far beyond this book.
- This step-by-step guide to luxury lifestyle design teaches: How Tim went from $40,000 per year and 80 hours per week to $40,000 per month and 4 hours per week, How to outsource your life to overseas virtual assistants for $5 per hour and do whatever you want, How blue-chip escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs, How to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours using the principles of a forgotten Italian economist, and How to trade a long-haul career for short work bursts and frequent “mini-retirements”
- The 4-Hour Body is the result of an obsessive quest, spanning more than a decade, to hack the human body. It contains the collective wisdom of hundreds of elite athletes, dozens of MDs, and thousands of hours of jaw-dropping personal experimentation. From Olympic training centers to black-market laboratories, from Silicon Valley to South Africa, Tim Ferriss, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The 4-Hour Workweek, fixated on one life-changing question:
- Robbins, who has coached more than fifty million people from 100 countries, is the world’s #1 life and business strategist. In this book, he teams up with Peter Mallouk, the only man in history to be ranked the #1 financial advisor in the US for three consecutive years by Barron’s. Together they reveal how to become unshakeable—someone who can not only maintain true peace of mind in a world of immense uncertainty, economic volatility, and unprecedented change, but who can profit from the fear that immobilizes so many.
- The Code of the Extraordinary Mind, a New York Times bestseller, is a blueprint of laws to break us free from the shackles of an ordinary life. It makes a case that everything we know about the world is shaped by conditioning and habit. And thus, most people live their lives based on limiting rules and outdated beliefs about pretty much everything―love, work, money, parenting, sex, health, and more―which they inherit and pass on from generation to generation.
- You’ll learn the science of why bone broth works and how to lose weight safely and easily–cravings and hunger pains not included. The simple and tasty recipes for beef, turkey, chicken, and fish bone broths are loaded with flavor and nutrients. Unlike other diet plans that involve serious preparation and cooking, the bone broth diet allows you to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying your newfound vibrancy. With easy fitness routines and mindful meditation exercises, Dr. Kellyann’s Bone Broth Diet is your key to a healthier, happier, slimmer, and younger life.
- In this new golden age, you’ll be able to take full advantage of the latest science and technologies to customize your care. Imagine being able to: edit your DNA to increase a healthy lifespan; use simple technologies to avoid or control chronic conditions like pain, depression, high blood pressure, and diabetes; prolong natural fertility and have children in your forties; lose weight effortlessly without a trendy diet; reverse aging to look, feel, and physically be ten years younger; and turn cancer into a manageable condition you can live with indefinitely. That’s the picture of the future that you can enter—starting today.
- Most books about the history of humanity pursue either a historical or a biological approach, but Dr. Yuval Noah Harari breaks the mold with this highly original book that begins about 70,000 years ago with the appearance of modern cognition. From examining the role evolving humans have played in the global ecosystem to charting the rise of empires, Sapiens integrates history and science to reconsider accepted narratives, connect past developments with contemporary concerns, and examine specific events within the context of larger ideas.
- Whether you’re just coming to realize that it’s time to get your body into shape, or are already fit and want to take it to the next level, Change Your Brain, Change Your Body is all you need to start putting the power of the brain-body connection to work for you today.
- Dr. Mark Hyman introduces a new weight-loss and healthy living program based on the latest science and explains how to EAT FAT, GET THIN, and achieve optimum wellness along the way. Offering practical tools, meal plans, recipes, and shopping lists, as well as step-by-step, easy-to-follow advice, EAT FAT, GET THIN is the cutting edge way to lose weight, prevent disease, and feel your best.
- The Wild Diet proves that it’s possible to get in best shape of your life while eating delicious foods like chicken parmesan, bacon cheeseburgers, and even chocolate pudding. If you want to know how to burn more fat by indulging in incredible meals and exercising less, it’s time to treat yourself to The Wild Diet
- With lists of good and bad carbohydrates, easy-to-follow food blocks and delicious recipes, The Zone provides all you need to begin your journey toward permanent fat loss, great health and all-round peak performance. In balance, your body will not only burn fat, but you’ll fight heart disease, diabetes, PMS, chronic fatigue, depression and cancer, as well as alleviate the painful symptoms of diseases such as multiple sclerosis and HIV.
- In Death by Food Pyramid, Denise Minger exposes the forces that overrode common sense and solid science to launch a pyramid phenomenon that bled far beyond US borders to taint the eating habits of the entire developed world.
- The microbiome—the collective name for the trillions of bacteria that live in our digestive tract—is today’s hottest medical news topic. Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains how the standard Western diet and our super-sanitized lifestyle are starving our microbes, depleting the “good bugs” that are crucial for keeping us healthy, and encouraging overgrowth of exactly the wrong types of bacteria.
- A leading authority on digestive health and the gut microbiome, Dr. Gerard E. Mullin shares the first proven, science-based program to restore and retain weight loss by achieving a balanced gut flora in The Gut Balance Revolution. He reveals how to stifle the fat-forming, disease-promoting gut bacteria, reseed your gut with good fat-burning ones, and fertilize those friendly flora with just the right foods to reboot, rebalance, and renew your health and lose weight for good. It’s all grounded in hard science and his over 20 years of clinical experience with patients in his medical practice
- Part memoir, nutritional primer, and political manifesto, this controversial examination exposes the destructive history of agriculture—causing the devastation of prairies and forests, driving countless species extinct, altering the climate, and destroying the topsoil—and asserts that, in order to save the planet, food must come from within living communities. In order for this to happen, the argument champions eating locally and sustainably and encourages those with the resources to grow their own food. Further examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of both human and environmental health, the account goes beyond health choices and discusses potential moral issues from eating—or not eating—animals. Through the deeply personal narrative of someone who practiced veganism for 20 years, this unique exploration also discusses alternatives to industrial farming, reveals the risks of a vegan diet, and explains why animals belong on ecologically sound farms.
- In Smart Fat, they explain the amazing properties of healthy fat, including its ability to balance hormones for increased energy and appetite control, and its incredible anti-inflammatory benefits. The solution for slimming down—and keeping the pounds off for life—is to “smart-fat” your meals, incorporating smart fats with fiber, protein, and most importantly, flavor. Bowden and Masley identify smart fats, explain what not to eat, and provide a thirty-day meal plan and fifty recipes based on the magic formula of fat, fiber, protein, and flavor.
- In this innovative guide, Dr. Mark Houston helps readers discover the causes of heart disease, how to prevent and treat its debilitating effects via nutrition, nutritional supplements, exercise, weight management, and lays to rest to various myths (cholesterol is not the primary cause) based on scientific studies and medical publications.
- Most advice centers on what to do, or how to do it, and ignores the when of success. But exciting new research proves there is a right time to do just about everything, based on our biology and hormones. As Dr. Michael Breus proves in THE POWER OF WHEN, working with your body’s inner clock for maximum health, happiness, and productivity is easy, exciting, and fun. THE POWER OF WHEN presents a groundbreaking new program for getting back in sync with your natural rhythm by making minor changes to your daily routine. After you’ve taken Dr. Breus’s comprehensive Bio-Time Quiz to figure out your chronotype (are you a Bear, Lion, Dolphin or Wolf?), you’ll find out the best time to do over 50 different activities. Featuring a foreword by Mehmet C. Oz, MD, and packed with fascinating facts, fun personality quizzes, and easy-to-follow guidelines, THE POWER OF WHEN is the ultimate “lifehack” to help you achieve your goals.
- In the first chapter, Tolle introduces readers to enlightenment and its natural enemy, the mind. He awakens readers to their role as a creator of pain and shows them how to have a pain-free identity by living fully in the present. The journey is thrilling, and along the way, the author shows how to connect to the indestructible essence of our Being, “the eternal, ever-present One Life beyond the myriad forms of life that are subject to birth and death.”
- The book covers vegetable ferments such as sauerkraut, kimchi, and sour pickles; bean ferments including miso, tempeh, dosas, and idli; dairy ferments including yogurt, kefir, and basic cheesemaking (as well as vegan alternatives); sourdough bread-making; other grain fermentations from Cherokee, African, Japanese, and Russian traditions; extremely simple wine- and beer-making (as well as cider-, mead-, and champagne-making) techniques; and vinegar-making. With nearly 100 recipes, this is the most comprehensive and wide-ranging fermentation cookbook ever published.
- Ultimately, this book is not just about microbes; it is about a different way to view humans. The story that Dietert tells of where the new biology comes from, how it works, and the ways in which it affects your life is fascinating, authoritative, and revolutionary. Dietert identifies foods that best serve you, the superorganism; not new fad foods but ancient foods that have made sense for millennia. He explains protective measures against unsafe chemicals and drugs. He offers an empowering self-care guide and the blueprint for a revolution in public health. We are not what we have been taught. Each of us is a superorganism. The best path to a healthy life is through recognizing that profound truth.
- Move Your DNA explains the science behind our need for natural movement – right down to the cellular level. It examines the differences between the movements in a typical hunter – gatherer’s life and the movements in our own. It shows the many problems with using exercise like movement vitamins instead of addressing the deeper issue of a poor movement diet. Best of all, Move Your DNA contains the corrective exercises, habit modifications, and simple lifestyle changes we need to make in order to free ourselves from disease and discover our naturally healthy, reflex driven selves. From couch potatoes to professional athletes, new parents to seniors, readers will love Katy’s humorous, passionate, and above all science based guide to restoring your body and reclaiming your life.
- Weight loss is just the beginning. The Rosedale Diet will make you feel satisfied, reduce cravings, and put you in control of your “sweet tooth.” It can even help eliminate or reduce heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and other conditions associated with “natural” aging, as many of Dr. Rosedale’s patients can attest. You’ll find inspiring stories from them—and the power to control your weight and improve your health—in this groundbreaking book.
- The Next 20 Years Will Be Completely Different From The Past. Current global trends are bleak: weak economic growth, too much debt, declining incomes for the lower 99%, a dangerous addiction to fossil fuels, and ecological destruction – just to name a few. Many of us understandably feel resigned to an eroding standard of living in the years to come. At best. But what if we told you that there are specific, attainable steps you can take today that can limit your vulnerability to these trends and help you be: Richer, Live with greater purpose, Healthier, More valued by others, Happier, Safer from harm.
- Isolated by Mexico’s deadly Copper Canyons, the blissful Tarahumara Indians have honed the ability to run hundreds of miles without rest or injury. In a riveting narrative, award-winning journalist and often-injured runner Christopher McDougall sets out to discover their secrets. In the process, he takes his readers from science labs at Harvard to the sun-baked valleys and freezing peaks across North America, where ever-growing numbers of ultra-runners are pushing their bodies to the limit, and, finally, to a climactic race in the Copper Canyons that pits America’s best ultra-runners against the tribe. McDougall’s incredible story will not only engage your mind but inspire your body when you realize that you, indeed all of us, were born to run.
- Primal Endurance is about slowing down, balancing out, chilling out, and having more fun with your endurance pursuits. It’s about building your health through sensible training patterns, instead of destroying your health through chronic training patterns. While it might be hard to believe at first glance, you can actually get faster by backing off from the overly aggressive and overly regimented “Type-A” training approach that prevails in today’s endurance community. Primal Endurance will show you how, every step of the way.
- In this brilliant, witty, and accessible book, renowned Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert describes the foibles of imagination and illusions of foresight that cause each of us to misconceive our tomorrows and misestimate our satisfactions. With penetrating insight and sparkling prose, Gilbert explains why we seem to know so little about the hearts and minds of the people we are about to become.
- Habits are the key to all our successes and challenges in life, and there is no better way to change your habits than to track them. Better Than Before: A Day-by-Day Journal provides you with a year’s worth of writing prompts that help you identify habits you’d like to change and strengthen habits you wish to adopt, as well as helpful quizzes and eye-opening tips on habit formation. Each weekly entry also features “habit-tracker” to mark down specific goals both big and small. As the pages fill, you’ll discover your own unique path—a practical, concrete framework that helps you to understand your habits and to change them for good.
- Barefoot enthusiasts say ditching your shoes is essential for optimal whole-body function. Doctors say minimalist shoes cause injury. Who’s right? What if they both are? In Whole Body Barefoot, biomechanist Katy Bowman explains how both sides are right and wrong by broadening the perspective of over-simplified “shoes are good” or “shoes are bad” arguments. Using evolutionary-based and biomechanics arguments, Bowman demonstrates that shoes, in a modern context, have purpose, but that the trade-off for protection can be reduced whole-body health if we don’t pick the right shoes for our body and skill-level.
- When you read Mountain Mantras, you will learn how to: * Achieve greater success in life simply by adjusting how you perceive events around you. * Discover a 6-step framework you can use to overcome obstacles in your own life. * Use vision and visualization to turn your dreams into reality. * Learn strategies to engage fully in life, while experiencing improved health and vitality.
- In this lively and compelling account—now updated with new material by the author—Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. Among other things, she found that novelty and challenge are powerful sources of happiness; that money can help buy happiness, when spent wisely; that outer order contributes to inner calm; and that the very smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.
- Here, Reynolds consults experts in a range of fields to share paradigm-shifting findings that were previously only available in academic and medical journals, including: 20 minutes of cardio is all you need (and sometimes six minutes is enough), Stretching before a workout is counterproductive, Chocolate milk is better than Gatorade for recovery.
- In the wake of the Cancer Genome Atlas project’s failure to provide a legible roadmap to a cure for cancer, science writer Travis Christofferson illuminates a promising blend of old and new perspectives on the disease. Tripping over the Truth follows the story of cancer’s proposed metabolic origin from the vaunted halls of the German scientific golden age to modern laboratories around the world. The reader is taken on a journey through time and science that results in an unlikely connecting of the dots with profound therapeutic implications.
- Dr. Joe Pizzorno is convinced that lifelong good health rests on two key determinants: your exposure to toxins and your ability to process them in your body. While lifestyle, diet, and genetics all play a major role in well-being, many symptoms of declining health and chronic disease are rooted in toxic overload—our exposure to a barrage of chemicals, heavy metals, radiation, electromagnetic frequencies, and pollution that are the byproducts of modern life. While the human body has an innate capacity to detoxify, it cannot cope with the elevated levels of toxins we are exposed to today. Most alarmingly, this toxic overload has helped transform once rare diseases into epidemics affecting people of all ages.
- You may not love your fat, but your body certainly does. In fact, your body is actually endowed with many self-defense measures to hold on to fat. For example, fat can use stem cells to regenerate; increase our appetite if it feels threatened; and use bacteria, genetics, and viruses to expand itself. The secret to losing twenty pounds? You have to work with your fat, not against it. Tara explains how your fat influences your appetite and willpower, how it defends itself when attacked, and why it grows back so quickly. The Secret Life of Fat brings cutting-edge research together with historical perspectives to reveal fat’s true identity: an endocrine organ that, in the right amount, is critical to our health. Fat triggers puberty enables our reproductive and immune systems and even affects brain size.
- Among Americans, diabetes is more prevalent today than ever; obesity is at epidemic proportions; nearly 10% of children are thought to have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. And sugar is at the root of these, and other, critical society-wide, health-related problems. With his signature command of both science and straight talk, Gary Taubes delves into Americans’ history with sugar: its uses as a preservative, as an additive in cigarettes, the contemporary overuse of high-fructose corn syrup. He explains what research has shown about our addiction to sweets. He clarifies the arguments against sugar, corrects misconceptions about the relationship between sugar and weight loss; and provides the perspective necessary to make informed decisions about sugar as individuals and as a society.
- To make the case, The Hungry Brain takes readers on an eye-opening journey through cutting-edge neuroscience that has never before been available to a general audience. The Hungry Brain delivers profound insights into why the brain undermines our weight goals and transforms these insights into practical guidelines for eating well and staying slim. Along the way, it explores how the human brain works, revealing how this mysterious organ makes us who we are.
- In this unique groundbreaking and enlightening book, Nora Gedgaudas provides a sane departure from conventional thinking about nutrition as promoted in the media and by conventional diet pundits. You will, at last, come to truly understand the basic principles of how your body and brain function based on both fundamental human physiology and the ancient selective pressures that shaped it. You’ll also come to appreciate how these same selective pressures came to establish our most basic nutritional requirements your key to health and freedom from disease. Never again be confused or fooled by misleading or conflicting dietary information! This is NOT just another book about “caveman diets” or “low carb eating”. Although these topics are covered, there is a unique “twist” to the material that will have you seeing your health and your diet in a way you never have before
- Leading health blogger Jimmy Moore and researcher and internist Dr. Eric C. Westman join forces again to explain the powerful therapeutic effects of a ketogenic diet—one that combines a customized carbohydrate restriction, moderation of protein intake, and real food-based fats—which is emerging in the scientific literature as a means for improving a wide range of diseases, from Type 2 diabetes to Alzheimer’s and more. Simply eating a low-carb diet alone isn’t enough, and Moore and Westman tell you why.
- The Keto Diet does away with the “one size fits all” philosophy offering a customizable approach that is tailored to the unique needs of the individual. Leanne provides the tools to empower everyone to develop a personalized nutrition plan, offering limitless options while taking away the many restrictions of a traditional ketogenic diet.
- This well-researched, thought-provoking guide to traditional foods contains a startling message: Animal fats and cholesterol are not villains but vital factors in the diet, necessary for normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels. Sally Fallon dispels the myths of the current low-fat fad in this practical, entertaining guide to a can-do diet that is both nutritious and delicious.
- In Body By Science, bodybuilding powerhouse John Little teams up with fitness medicine expert Dr. Doug McGuff to present a scientifically proven formula for maximizing muscle development in just 12 minutes a week. Backed by rigorous research, the authors prescribe a weekly high-intensity program for increasing strength, revving metabolism, and building muscle for a total fitness experience.
- Popular nutritionist Nora Gedgaudas returns with advice that may sound counterintuitive: Eat fat to burn fat. In her new book, Primal Fat Burner, she explains the benefits and science behind a ketogenic (or fat-burning) diet, which switches your metabolism from a dependence on sugar to running on healthy fats. As Gedgaudas reveals, numerous studies in recent years refute the long-promoted anti-saturated fat and anti-cholesterol agenda. Now, Gedgaudas explains the science that fat isn’t a “no-no” but rather a “yes-yes”—if you know the right kinds of fats to eat. In her accessible, enjoyable style, she also lays out a practical meal plan with recipes. When you follow a ketogenic diet, you consume fewer calories overall!
- The ketogenic diet is a natural, nontoxic metabolic therapy being studied and utilized for cancer prevention and treatment. It works because cancer cells are dependent upon a constant supply of blood sugar (glucose) to stay alive. Normal cells can make energy from both glucose and ketones (metabolic by-products of burning fat), but most cancer cells can only use glucose. Avoiding carbohydrates (starch and sugar) while enjoying delicious and healthy protein and fats will lower blood glucose and increase blood-ketone levels, resulting in a normal body state called nutritional ketosis. Research has shown that nutritional ketosis starves cancer cells while nourishing normal cells and strengthening total body health. This essential, fully referenced book is a practical guide for physicians, patients, and caregivers, and provides step-by-step instructions for customizing the diet and clear explanations of the cutting-edge research on ketogenic therapies being done by Dr. Dominic D’Agostino’s team at the University of South Florida and Dr. Thomas Seyfried’s team at Boston College. The ketogenic diet for cancer is based on the consumption of whole, fresh foods and it can be used in addition to standard care or as a stand-alone treatment in wait-and-see situations.
- With Undoctored, the code to health care has been cracked―Dr. Davis will help you create a comprehensive program to reduce, reverse, and cure hundreds of common health conditions and break your dependence on prescription drugs. By applying simple strategies while harnessing the collective wisdom of new online technologies, you can break free of a healthcare industry that puts profits over health.
- With a full list of lectin-containing foods and simple substitutes for each, a step-by-step detox and eating plan, and delicious lectin-free recipes, The Plant Paradox illuminates the hidden dangers lurking in your salad bowl—and shows you how to eat whole foods in a whole new way.
- Dr. Mercola shows you that you can take control of your health simply by giving your body the proper fuel—and it’s not what you’ve likely been led to believe. A ketogenic diet, very low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats, is the way to optimize the biochemical pathways that suppress disease and support healing. And the benefits can be astonishing—not only in treating or preventing serious illness, but in boosting your brainpower, increasing your energy, helping you lose weight and keep it off, and much more.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude tells the story of the rise and fall, birth and death of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendia family. Inventive, amusing, magnetic, sad, and alive with unforgettable men and women—brimming with truth, compassion, and a lyrical magic that strikes the soul—this novel is a masterpiece in the art of fiction.
- Drucker identifies five practices essential to business effectiveness that can, and must, be learned: Managing time, Choosing what to contribute to the organization, Knowing where and how to mobilize strength for best effect, Setting the right priorities, and Knitting all of them together with effective decision-making.
- The modern world has given us stupendous know-how. Yet avoidable failures continue to plague us in health care, government, the law, the financial industry—in almost every realm of organized activity. And the reason is simple: the volume and complexity of knowledge today has exceeded our ability as individuals to properly deliver it to people—consistently, correctly, safely. We train longer, specialize more, use ever-advancing technologies, and still we fail. Atul Gawande makes a compelling argument that we can do better, using the simplest of methods: the checklist. In riveting stories, he reveals what checklists can do, what they can’t, and how they could bring about striking improvements in a variety of fields, from medicine and disaster recovery to professions and businesses of all kinds. And the insights are making a difference. Already, a simple surgical checklist from the World Health Organization designed by following the ideas described here has been adopted in more than twenty countries as a standard for care and has been heralded as “the biggest clinical invention in thirty years” (The Independent).
- Richard Feynman, winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, thrived on outrageous adventures. Here he recounts in his inimitable voice his experience trading ideas on atomic physics with Einstein and Bohr and ideas on gambling with Nick the Greek; cracking the uncrackable safes guarding the most deeply held nuclear secrets; accompanying a ballet on his bongo drums; painting a naked female toreador. In short, here is Feynman’s life in all its eccentric―a combustible mixture of high intelligence, unlimited curiosity, and raging chutzpah.
- For the past 30 years, John Gray has taught us how we are different and given us new insights into better communication and stronger relationships. We need more than new communication skills and an understanding of our differences to have healthy relationships these days. We also need the nutritional support necessary for positive moods, sustained energy and most importantly, focus. Without focus, communication breaks down in all relationships and frustration increases. Without focus in romantic relationships, passion is lost and there is an increase in breakups and divorces. Without focus at work, people are increasingly dissatisfied and bored, often feeling unappreciated, distracted, exhausted or overwhelmed. Without focus, our lives lose purpose, we are easily distracted, forgetting what we are here for or never realizing what is most important in life. In the midst of our accelerated progress, our modern society has lost our way. We have a greater consciousness of new possibilities but we feel less connected in our relationships due to our loss of focus. John Gray has devoted the past 20 years to researching mental health and its effect on our relationships. He has reviewed thousands of medical studies and traveled the world to find ancient remedies for improving one’s mind, mood and focus. Staying Focused In A Hyper World: Natural Solutions For ADHD, Memory And Brain Performance shares these findings and offers practical strategies for increasing focus, clarity, memory, motivation and sustaining positive moods. Gray explains what causes ADHD in children and how it is the underlying cause for many health issues later in life, including dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease and even Parkinson’s Disease. He details the varied forms of ADHD, from hyperactivity to daydreaming and he provides step-by-step protocols for treating a number of common ailments with natural supplements and lifestyle changes.
- “Somebody comes into the Zen center with a lighted cigarette, walks up to the Buddha statue, blows smoke in its face, and drops ashes on its lap. You are standing there. What can you do?” This is a problem that Zen Master Seung Sahn is fond of posing to his American students who attend his Zen centers. Dropping Ashes on the Buddha is a delightful, irreverent, and often hilariously funny living record of the dialogue between Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn and his American students. Consisting of dialogues, stories, formal Zen interviews, Dharma speeches, and letters using the Zen Master’s actual words in spontaneous, living interaction with his students, this book is a fresh presentation of the Zen teaching method of “instant dialogue” between Master and student which, through the use of astonishment and paradox, leads to an understanding of ultimate reality.
- In 1886, the Ihalmiut people of northern Canada numbered seven thousand; by 1946, when Farley Mowat began his two-year stay in the Arctic, the population had fallen to just forty. With them, he observed for the first time the phenomenon that would inspire him for the rest of his life: the millennia-old migration of the Arctic’s caribou herds. He also endured bleak, interminable winters, suffered agonizing shortages of food, and witnessed the continual, devastating intrusions of outsiders bent on exploitation. Here, in this classic and first book to demonstrate the mammoth literary talent that would produce some of the most memorable books of the next half-century, best-selling author Farley Mowat chronicles his harrowing experiences. People of the Deer is the lyrical ethnography of a beautiful and endangered society. It is a mournful reproach to those who would manipulate and destroy indigenous cultures throughout the world. Most of all, it is a tribute to the last People of the Deer, the diminished Ihalmiuts, whose calamitous encounter with our civilization resulted in their unnecessary demise.
- Now, whether you are a curious healthcare professional or just a connoisseur of diet information, two New York Times best-selling authors provide you with the definitive resource for low carbohydrate living.
Doctors Volek and Phinney share over 50 years of clinical experience using low carbohydrate diets, and together they have published more than 200 research papers and chapters on the topic. Particularly in the last decade, much has been learned about the risks associated with insulin resistance (including but not limited to metabolic syndrome, hypertension, and type-2 diabetes), and how this condition is far better controlled by carbohydrate restriction than with drugs.